It’s been a while since I have posted any of my completed paintings and I wanted to share two new oil paintings that I recently completed. I just finished a really busy week preparing for an Art Pops! Everedy Square and Shab Row, pop- up shop event, in Frederick, MD. I sold an original pastel of Mallard Ducks and some line drawings of a Civil War Soldier, A Cat, and a Rooster! Yay! Now it’s back to the easel to prepare for my Frederick Coffee Company Show in Frederick, MD, this coming October…
Usually, I really enjoy making new art work and solving problems in my paintings in progress. It is the highlight of my week, and it brings me such joy to slow down and really notice the beauty to be found all around me, especially in nature. It is also extremely rewarding to find a solution to problems in my paintings and to finally get it right, whether it’s a color problem, a value problem, or a problem with the media itself. Sometimes I have to start over from scratch. But for some reason, now that I can finally rest from all of the preparations for the art show last week, I am feeling really drained and not motivated to do much of anything. I feel I really need to recharge my creative batteries and fill up the tank.
Meanwhile, I wanted to post a few photos of some of the works that will be on display for this art show. I am hoping that by posting what I have already completed, it might help me to have more motivation to continue this journey of making art. I need to remind myself that making art is a process, not an immediate destination, and it takes a lot of time to get there.
From top left, are the color sketches made with watercolor paints and colored pencil, I created to start the landscape paintings. This step helped me to choose what colors to incorporate into the paintings, which I originally intended to be painted in acrylic. I followed that step by painting the landscapes in Liquitex acrylic paints. However, I was unhappy with the result, so I decided to re-paint the landscapes in oil paints. The oil paintings were much more vibrant and not muddy like the acrylics. And the last two photos are the finished product in oils. I am very happy with the result, even though I had to take a new direction and paint over the acrylics to get the colors I wanted. Sometimes I have to take a few steps backward to be able to get the project moving in the right direction. These paintings will be on display at the Frederick Coffee Company in Frederick, MD this October for my Artist of the month art show. I will post more details about the art show as the date for the opening night gets closer Thanks for looking!